Frequently asked questions
An independent committee evaluated applications based on:
- The applicant’s demonstrated interest in attending AIDS 2020
- The applicant’s motivation to attend and disseminate knowledge and best practices acquired at AIDS 2020
In addition, transgender people, women, and younger professionals were prioritized in the selection. New recipients were also prioritized to ensure a wider impact for the programme.
Your awarded scholarship includes:
- Registration for AIDS 2020: Virtual, including full online access to the conference
- Complimentary two-year IAS membership – or an extension if you are already an IAS Member
- Enriched content and educational opportunities for scholarship recipients before and during the conference
IAS Educational Fund professional development meeting at AIDS 2018 ©IAS/Rob Huibers
The rapid pace of scientific discovery in care for people living with HIV and AIDS requires that clinicians and other HIV service providers to remain continually up to date on research developments and best practices.
The IAS Educational Fund scholarships enable participants to attend the International AIDS Conference and the HIV Conference on HIV Science, allowing them to remain up to date with the rapid pace of scientific discovery in the care for people living with HIV and AIDS. This also enables them to share the lessons learned in their home countries. Since 2016, the IAS Educational Fund received 9,400 applications and awarded full scholarships to 930 clinicians and 201 advocates.
With these scholarships, participants are enabled to not only attend international conferences, but also to take away what they learn and present that knowledge back home. This is an essential step in ensuring that the research and implementation breakthroughs presented at the International AIDS Conference and the IAS Conference on HIV Science move from meeting halls into communities.
The 2020 IAS Educational Fund Scholarship Programme is made possible through independent grants from ViiV Healthcare and Gilead Sciences.