2019 Advocacy-for-Cure Academy
Philister Adhiambo Madiega
Institution: Kenya Medical Research Institute- CRS
Country of work: Kenya
What is your motivation for becoming an HIV cure advocate?
My motivation to advance the course of HIV-Cure field is inspired by the promise that a safe and effective HIV cure is our best hope of ending the pandemic forever. I won’t let up until that cure is realized or until HIV falls. I would like to make a stride that matters , provide hope to PLWHA especially the marginalized and adolescents, voice issues on non-disclosure, adherence, stigma, discrimination & criminalizing laws and policies, negotiate for social spaces to discuss challenges & barriers in existence. Be an advocate who appreciates that CURE may be a combination of approaches to eradicate HIV.
What advocacy work are you currently engaged in?
Currently, serving in the AIDS Clinical Trial Group, Protocol Development and Implementation Subcommittee (PDISC) as an appointee to the Outreach, Recruitment, and Retention Working Group (ORRWG). I am involved in the ’’Warembo na PrEP’’ Advocacy targeting sex workers for testing, PrEP and PEP.
- The HPTN 084(Life Study) A Phase 3 Double Blind Safety and Efficacy Study of Long-Acting Injectable Cabotegravir Compared to Daily Oral TDF/FTC for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in HIV-Uninfected Women.
- AMP Study: A phase 2b study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of VRC01 broadly neutralizing monoclonal antibody in reducing acquisition of HIV-1 infection.
- CONRAD Study: Phase IIa, 90-Day Safety and Tolerability Study of Intravaginal Rings Releasing Tenofovir and Levonorgestrel among Women and the REACH Study, enrolling young women at risk of HIV infection.
How do you think knowledge learned from the Advocacy-for-Cure Academy will influence your current work?
Knowledge obtained from the Advocacy-for-Cure Academy will:
- Transform and strengthen my advocacy, community engagement and negotiation skills to increase demand for HIV- cure services.
- Educate communities on need for HIV- Cure advancement and development, ethical considerations involved and need to focus on adherence, early initiation to ART, use of PrEP, PEP and combination of strategies.
- Address barriers and inspire communities to address the myriad global health challenges. As a trained advocate for HIV- Cure I will negotiate, engage and network with various stakeholders to increase demand for HIV-Cure in resource limited setting where HIV–Cure knowledge is not fully explored.